My kids love pears and I love this delicious Rustic Pear Galette. It’s a simple and beautiful dessert that you can serve anytime!
This page contains affiliate links. If you choose to purchase after clicking a link, I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you. For more information please read my full affiliate disclosure.
Pears are one of my favorite fruits to eat and my kids absolutely love them. However, I rarely think to use them in desserts and I don’t really know why. They have a subtle sweet flavor that lends itself perfectly for delicious desserts. This rustic pear galette is delicious and simple change from your traditional apple, pumpkin or pecan pies during the holidays or just for a change of pace.
Pears are one fruit in season in November so I love making this in the Fall and Winter!
Too Busy to Make this right now? Pin for later to your favorite Pinterest Board!
All-Purpose Flour – The dough for this crust requires all-purpose flour, which I always have on hand for baking.
Sugar – White sugar adds sweetness to the dough as well as the galette.
Butter – One of the secrets to a flaky crust is to start with cold butter so be sure the butter is cold and not room temperature.
Salt – Just a tad to enhance the flavors
Cold Water – Just like the butter the water must be cold as well.
Pears – The star of the show! Grab your favorite type of pears.
Vanilla Extract – Please be sure to use real vanilla extract and not imitation!
Cinnamon – Cinnamon and pears go hand in hand and is delicious in this rustic pear galette.
Cardamom – Cardamom is not a spice I use often but it is perfect when combined with the cinnamon and pears.
Egg – An egg wash is water and egg whisked together to add a shine to the crust.
Turbinado Sugar – This is a raw form of sugar without a lot of processing. It’s perfect for adding that extra touch on top of the pear galette.
Powdered Sugar – A sprinkle of powdered sugar for serving!
Making Rustic Pear Galette
The first step in making this rustic pear galette is making the dough.
Add the flour, 2 1/2 tablespoons of sugar, and the salt in a large bowl. Then whisk well to combine.
Cube the cold butter and then cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or by using two forks to mash the butter into the flour until crumbly with very small pieces of butter sprinkled throughout. Be patient this can take some time.
Pour the cold water into the bowl and stir until the dough begins to come together.
Sprinkle your work service with a little flour and turn the dough out on the floured service. Work the dough into a ball and then flatten into a round disc.
Wrap the disc of dough into a piece of plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
While the dough chills, toss the pears, 3 tablespoons of sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and cardamom in the same bowl you used to make the dough. Place the pears in the fridge with the while the dough finishes resting.
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
When the dough is finished resting, place a sheet of parchment paper on your work surface. Unwrap the dough and place on the parchment paper.
Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a rough circle about 10-12 inches in diameter.
Add the pear filling to the center of the rolled out galette, leaving about 3 inches of dough around the filling. Working in a circle, fold the dough over the pear filling and lightly press to seal any cracks. Remember this is a rustic pear galette so no need to be perfect!
Make an egg wash using one egg and one tablespoon of water and mix well. Brush the edges of the galette crust with the egg wash and then sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
Bake the galette at 400°F for about 35-40 minutes until the crust is a deep golden-brown.
Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes, then serve sprinkled with a light dusting of powdered sugar or a spoonful of maple whipped cream.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus a few tablespoons for working the dough
- 5 1/2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup very cold water
- 3 large pears, sliced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 large egg, whisked with 1 tablespoon water for an egg wash
- 1-2 tablespoons turbinado sugar, to taste
- Powdered sugar, for garnish
- Make the dough: Add the flour, 2 1/2 tablespoons of sugar, and the salt to a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the cold cubed butter, Cut the butter into the flour mixture either using a pastry blender or two forks. The mixture should be crumbly with very small pieces of butter sprinkled throughout.
- Pour the very cold water into the mixture and stir until the dough begins to come together.
- Sprinkle your work surface with a little flour and turn the dough out onto the surface. Work the dough into a ball and then flatten into a disc.
- Wrap the disc in plastic wrap and place in the fridge to rest for 30 minutes.
- Make the Filling: While the dough rests, toss the pears in the same bowl you made the dough in with the cinnamon, 3 tablespoons of sugar, vanilla, and cardamom. Place in the fridge until the dough is done resting.
- Once the dough is finished resting, preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on your work surface and unwrap the disc of dough onto the parchment paper. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a rough circle about 10-12 inches in diameter.
- Add the pear filling to the center of the rolled out dough leaving about 3 inches around the edges.
- Working in a circle, fold the dough over the pears and lightly press to seal any cracks in the dough.
- Brush the galette crust with the egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake at 400°F for 35-40 minutes or until a deep golden-brown.
- Remove the pear galette from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. Serve garnished with a dusting of powdered sugar!
Cold butter and very cold water are the secrets to a light and flaky crust! Be sure to use cold cubed butter and very cold water when making your dough.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 395Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 207mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 4gSugar: 35gProtein: 5g
Chaos and Wine occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This Nutrition Disclaimer notifies that under no circumstances will Chaos & Wine or its owners be responsible for any loss, damage, or adverse reactions resulting from your reliance on nutritional information given by this site. By using Chaos & Wine and its content, you agree to these terms.
If you’re looking for a delicious simple dessert to serve your guests or your family, give this Rustic Pear Galette a try! It’ll impress both your family and your guests with it’s subtle deliciousness!